Warning to pet owners as poison plants are spotted again

Deadly plants on beaches have once again been exposed by recent storms, an animal charity has warned.

Twelve months ago a dog died within 20 minutes of eating Hemlock Water Dropwort at Cardross.

And last night John Robins of Animal Concern Advice Line (ACAL) found dozens of the plants on the beach at Cardross – he says it is very likely that other beaches, riverbanks and loch sides throughout the country will also be contaminated.

“Hemlock Water Dropwort is extremely poisonous and it is vital that dog and horse owners do not let their animals eat this plant,” he said.

“If you have a dog which picks up and chews things when out for a walk it would make sense to avoid waterside areas where this plant grows.

“If a dog does eat this plant the owner should get their pet to a vet immediately.”

The plant grows along river and loch banks and at the high water mark on beaches.

The green tops of the plants look like celery or wild parsley

It is thought that animals which are given carrots as snacks may be more at risk as the roots of Hemlock Water Dropwort look like parsnips or carrots.

Heavy rain, river spates and exceptionally high tides have eroded soil, exposing the toxic roots and washed plants out of the ground.

1 Trackback / Pingback

  1. Poison plant spotted on Kilcreggan beach | The Lochside Press

Comments are closed.