Poison plant identified

The poison thought to be responsible for the death of a pet dog has been traced to a plant which grows naturally on the shoreline.

Local vets warned pet owners to stay away from high tide areas when one dog died and another became ill in Cardross yesterday.

Originally it was thought that poisonous plants had been washed ashore in recent storms, but now the plant has been identified as hemlock water dropwort.

A spokesperson for Argyll and Bute Council confirmed: “As soon as this incident was reported it was investigated by the council’s environmental health officers in Helensburgh in conjunction with amenity services and Police Scotland.

“The plant occurs naturally on the shoreline. Ordinarily the roots, or tubers, are not exposed. It seems that due to the stormy weather the roots have been disturbed and exposed, attracting the dogs.

“The council is advising the public to be vigilant whilst out walking their dogs and to be aware that poisonous plants do grow wild in the UK.

“Do not touch or allow children or pets to come into contact with any plant growing wild you are unsure about.”

3 Trackbacks / Pingbacks

  1. Poison warning for dogs after storms | The Lochside Press
  2. Poisonous Plants | Turd Herders
  3. Oenanthe crocata | Find Me A Cure

Comments are closed.