Controversial work on Helensburgh’s seafront which started eight weeks ago is already a month behind schedule.
The first stage of the CHORD project, which aims to transform the town centre, got under way on May 7 despite pleas by traders in the town.
The first stage – which has seen the seafront dominated by diggers and a diversion set up including a one-way system – was due to finished by the end of August, according to a statement issued by the council in April.
But this week a council spokesperson, when asked if timetable had already hit problems, said: “The programme, which we have approved with contractors, shows completion of the Phase 1 works by the end of September. Progress is reviewed fortnightly.”
Traders in the town were angry when they heard that the work would start during the summer period, when the town is usually at its busiest.
They organised a petition asking the council to delay the project until later in the year, but were told that this was not possible as the contract had already been awarded to Maclay Civil Engineering and changes would lead to significant costs.
Traders have already said they will seek compensation for the lost trade – and with the September holiday weekend now likely to be affected the situation seems likely to get even worse.
A council spokesperson said on Tuesday: “The phase 1 works will finish at the end of September as the start date was pushed back three weeks into May.
“A council press release sent in April did outline the starting and finishing months for each phase of the work but also pointed out these had yet to be confirmed with the contractor.
“Work is continually assessed on a regular basis and there are updates on the council’s website monthly at http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/content/helensburgh-chord-update-may-2013”