Nominations are now open for what is billed as Argyll and Bute’s biggest ever celebration of young people.
The AB Awards will celebrate the achievements of young people in the area and will showcase outstanding achievement.
The awards are organised by Argyll and Bute Youth Services in partnership with Argyll and Bute Youth Forum and offer a chance to reward deserving young people between the ages of 11 and 25 for awards in a variety of categories.
From now until midnight on July 19, members of the public can nominate young people who have given something back to the community, gone out of their way to help others, are striving in their chosen field, have overcome a difficulty in their life or who have done something special or unique.
The shortlisted nominees will be honoured at a ceremony on September 19 at Oban Phoenix Cinema.
The awards are intended to help counter the negative way in which young people are sometimes portrayed in the media, and to highlight individuals who are contributing positively to their communities.
Lead councillor for community, culture and strategic housing George Freeman said: “It’s great to have an event which highlights all the positive things young people in Argyll and Bute are doing.
“We don’t always hear the good news stories about young people, so I hope everyone will want to get involved and nominate someone they think should receive an award.”
The young person could be a friend, family member or someone in the public eye. Full details of the categories and how to nominate are available on theArgyll and Bute Young Scot website, but they include:
- Unsung Hero Award – sponsored by Young Carers
- Youth Entrepreneur Award – sponsored by Samteq
- Youth Volunteering Award – sponsored by Argyll Voluntary Action
- Youth Environment Award – sponsored by Scottish Association for Marine Science
- Citizenship Award – sponsored by Argyll and Bute Community Planning Partnership
- Health and Wellbeing Award – sponsored by Argyll and Bute Community Health Partnership
- Youth Arts Award
- Sporting Award sponsored by Active Schools
The nomination form is also available by emailing contacting Roanna Clark, firstname.lastname@example.org