Highland games and pipe band events look set to get the biggest council grants in and around Helensburgh this spring.
A total of £30,000 is expected to be handed out at the meeting of Argyll and Bute Council’s Helensburgh and Lomond area committee on April 9, and the cash would be shared between 21 organisations.
The highest award available is £4,000 and officers recommend that this amount should be paid to three organisations.
The bicentenary pipe band championships has been running for 11 years, organised by a volunteer committee, while the Helensburgh and Lomond Highland Games is described as ‘a highly prestigious event’: “The range of participants is increasing each year and the event has a history of bringing in a large number of visitors to the area.”
The third group recommended to receive £4,000 is the Rosneath Peninsula Highland Games, said to be a high profile event attracting between 1,000 and 2,000 ‘including a high proportion of visitors’.
The other recommendations are as follows:
- Helensburgh Cricket and Rugby Football Club – £2,775
- Gareloch Branch – Riding for the Disabled – £2,625
- Route 81 Youth Project – £2,250
- Helensburgh Amateur Athletics – £1,810
- NVA (arts charity) – £1,620
- Helensburgh Savoy Musical Club – £1,125
- Helensburgh Addiction Rehabilitation Team Women’s Group – £1,070
- Dumbarton and District Branch, MS Society – £1,050
- Gibson Hall, Garelochhead – £975
- Luss and Arden Community Development Trust – £540
- Cove and Kilcreggan Lunch Club – £450
- Helensburgh Orchestral Society – £410
- Helensburgh Community Woodlands Group – £390
- Rosneath Peninsula Amenity Society – £290
- Rosneath and Clynder Senior Citizens Association – £260
- Argyll and Bute Youth Forum – £250
- Helensburgh and Lomond Youth Forum – £105
The Royal British Legion Scotland’s local branch applied for £414 but it is not recommended that this be granted; all the figures above are officer recommendations which are subject to approval by elected councillors.
The remainder of the annual area budget of £35,000 for third sector grants will be awarded in August.