More than 70 school pupils were caught in blizzard

A total of 75 pupils were on their school bus when it was trapped in a snow storm last Friday.

Argyll and Bute Council has confirmed that the Hermitage Academy pupils were travelling back to Kilcreggan and Cove on a double-decker.

Garelochhead coaches, who won the school contract after a long legal battle, had planned to run double deckers from the first day of the new school term but this was delayed while council staff cleared overhanging branches from the road.

The double deckers were finally used from January 18 onwards.

Dozens of car drivers were caught out in Friday afternoon’s snow, with many having to be pushed or towed over the Mill Brae on the B833 between Rosneath and Kilcreggan.

Academy staff allowed pupils from Arrochar to leave early, but those from all other areas had to wait until the usual time of 3.40.

A council spokesperson said these decisions were taken by each school at headteachers’ discretion.

“The police directed the bus into the side of the road at Rosneath Caravan park, where it was told to remain until the accidents, which had taken place on the hill and had caused gridlock, had been cleared,” she added.

“The bus driver remained at this point until the police directed him to move on.”

Locals using 4x4s drove to collect the stranded pupils, and the spokesperson confirmed that none of the children were allowed to leave the bus until someone had come to collect them.


  1. Nice to see the truth after some people were saying that the bus driver kicked the kids off the bus to walk home on their own!!!! I think people should get the truth before reporting on social networking sites!!!Also give operators a chance before kicking them in the teeth.

  2. I was on on the service bus which had to be parked behind the school bus till the brae was cleared of stranded cars. I was one of the people ‘rescued’ by a 4 x 4 which was collecting the school children and can confirm that the driver kept the children on the bus till they were uplifted. The buses were only prevented from going over Mill Brae because it was blocked by cars and not because they were unable to tackle it due to the weather. The drivers behaved in a professional and responsible manner.

Comments are closed.