The public is to have another chance to have a say on the latest vision for the future of Helensburgh pier.
Argyll and Bute Council has agreed that the finalised Helensburgh pierhead masterplan will go out for a further 28 days’ public consultation, starting on September 3.
This finalised version of the plan comes after 1,200 people took part in consultation from December 2011 to January 2012. The scale of changes proposed for the pierhead meant that a further round of public consultation would be necessary.
The main changes are:
- Shops reduced in scale and height and set back along West Clyde Street in an effort to open up views from Sinclair Street, lessen visual impact, allow for more pedestrian space and accommodate drop off/pick up points for buses, taxies and cars.
- The requirement for residential units is deleted to reflect public opinion and help reduce the height of the shops
- Space for coach parking
- Pool/community leisure facility retained but drawn back from the head of the pier to help reduce exposure to the elements but still allowing for it to be built before the current swimming pool is demolished
- A position for the skatepark will be identified on the pierhead.
- Proposed flooding works will take full account of potential impacts on adjacent streets that also suffer from increasing flooding
Lead councillor for development, environment and infrastructure John Semple said, “The council’s proposals for Helensburgh’s pierhead are key in the development of Argyll and Bute’s largest town, and its position gives it a very high profile.
“The people who felt strongly enough to express their views during the earlier consultation have helped shape this further draft. It includes major changes to the original proposals for retail, residential and leisure facilities, and reflects the power a community has to influence major development proposals.”
Details on how to comment on the proposals will be publicised before the consultation begins. All views will be reported back to the council prior to any final approval .