The distinctive tin church at Peaton on the Rosneath Peninsula has been demolished to make way for a new house.
Although not listed, it appears on the Buildings At Risk Register, which describes it as ‘a simple corrugated iron tin tabernacle with the remains of a spire at the west end of the roof’.
It states that the building dates from the late 19th century, adding of ‘tin tabernacles': “The construction of churches and other buildings in corrugated iron flourished from 1855 through to 1930s.
“Quickly erected, they were often supplied as kits through builders’ merchants in a variety of sizes and designs. For construction, a simple foundation would be built and the corrugated iron sheets bolted onto a wooden frame.
“The interior would be lined with tongue and groove boarding. Depending on the resources available to the congregation there would be a range of interior fittings and furniture.
“In due course the corrugated iron church might be replaced by a more permanent stone or brick building, with many being retained as church halls.”
Planning permission to demolish the church, which had stood empty for many years, was granted in 2010.